Fall 2021 Exchange Student Program at Meiji University (scholarship available)
Meiji University is right in the middle of Tokyo!
Short video about Meiji University: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEfUlsyyu1s
We invite you to join the Fall 2021 exchange student program at Meiji University.
- The following schools offer courses in English.You do not need to have Japanese language proficiency while at Meiji.
-School of Political Science and Economics
-School of Business Administration
-School of Global Japanese Studies
-Graduate School of Governance Studies
-Graduate School of Business Administration
-Graduate School of Global Business
-Graduate School of Global Governance
-Graduate School of Science and Technology, International Program in Architecture and Urban Design
- Duration of study abroad at Meiji and application period
(1) Fall 2021 semester (September, 2021- )
*Duration of study abroad at Meiji (excluding arrival dates, orientations). Subject to change.
September 2021 – February 2022 (one semester only)
September 2021 – July 2022 (one year)
*Online application (Step 2): January 12 – March 1, 2021
*Send application materials via courier to Meiji (Step 4) and submit the COE Excel online (Step 5): January 12 – March 15, 2021
*Students must complete 2 online forms. (Step 2 and Step 5)
All applicants are required to complete the online application (Step 2) and send the application materials to Meiji via courier (Step 4) by above mentioned due date. Also, applicants submit the COE application form as an Excel document online (Step 5).
<Step 2, online application> page 1
<Step 5, online COE submission> page 2
NO application is accepted after the deadline.
Duration of study abroad at Meiji (one semester or one year) and preferred school must be decided before applying for the program. They cannot be changed after the online application.
- Please refer to the link below for details regarding application.
(1) Application Guidelines (link of online application, deadlines, application materials and language requirements etc.)
(2) Fact Sheet (course list, syllabus, housing, academic calendar and Japanese language classes etc.)
(3) Download the standard forms for the application
(4) Certificate of Health (standard form)
Certificate of Health must be submitted as part of application materials and completed by a doctor. It must be issued after September 2020.
Download the standard form of Certificate of Health (#7)
- COE application <IMPORTANT>
(1) Students must refer to the sample form (link) and follow the instructions when filling out this form.
Insufficient application form may cause the rejection or delay in obtaining the COE.
(2) To apply for the COE, students must demonstrate the method of support to pay for the expenses while in Japan depending on the duration of study abroad at Meiji. At least 120,000 JPY must be available as monthly living expenses during study abroad at Meiji. As part of application materials, students are required to submit financial supporting documents as follows. It must be issued after January 2021.
One semester exchange: 120,000 JPY *6 months=720,000 JPY
One year exchange: 120,000JPY *12 months=1,440,000 JPY
- Rent payment
Those who wish to be assigned Meiji dormitory are required to pay the whole rent for one semester before arrival. Exchange students who will study at Meiji for 1 year are required to pay the rent for the next semester after arrival before the start of the next semester. More details will be announced around May 2021.
- Applicants who wish to study at schools which offer academic classes in English
The score of TOEFL, IELTS that they took in September 2018 or later is valid for the application. Applicants are required to take the test BEFORE application. Copy of the official score MUST be prepared to upload to the online application.
To avoid disappointment, please be mindful and ensure that you meet the language requirements. For the requirements of each school, please refer to page 7 of Application Guidelines.
- Meiji University Japanese Language Online Test
(Only for applicants who wish to study at schools which offer academic classes in Japanese. Applicants to English track who take academic classes in English are NOT required to take the online test.)
Applicants to schools which offer academic classes in Japanese and cannot submit a valid JLPT certificate are requested to take Meiji University Japanese Language Online Test. Meiji University will send the information about the test to exchange student program coordinator as soon as the online application is received.
Please note that the JLPT certificates that are valid for application are any of the followings;
(1)N1: passed before
(2)N2, N3 or N4: passed in either 2019 or 2020
< Meiji University Japanese Language Online Test dates>
Applicants for Fall 2021 semester: January 12 to March 8, 2021
September admission: January 12 – March 1, 2021
Step 1: nomination
Step 2: online application
Step 3: Japanese online test (only if student take classes in Japanese) (period: Jan 12 – March 8)
Step 4: Send application materials to Meiji; from IRO (period: Jan 12- March 15)
Please note that students need to be nominated by ITB
Required documents for selection process:
- Academic Transcript
- Recommendation Letter from Academic Advisor & Study Program (please use this template);
- Financial Guarantee Letter, including the request to receive financial assistancefrom the Bureau of Partnerships (please use this template);
- Health Guarantee Letter, regarding Covid-19 (please use this template);
- Official Certificate of English Language Proficiency, such as TOEFL or IELTS (please refer to the list of university options for the English level required by each university) –
- Recent CV;
- Personal Statement Video (max. 5 minutes, explaining your motivation to participate in the exchange program).