Call for Application: Mentors and Judges for SATU SMART 4.0 International Innovation Competition
Jointly organized by the SATU Presidents’ Forum, NCKU Innovation Headquarters and Office of International Affairs, this year’s SATU SMART 4.0 International Innovation Competition has attracted more than 400 participants, formed into 111 teams. The teams are required to identify problems related to climate change and sustainability and present their solutions via the use of pitch deck, business plan and pitch video. We are inviting professors from SATU member institutions to become the competition’s mentors and/or judges to provide guidance and review the submissions of the teams.
What is SMART4.0?
SATU Mobility Action for Regional Talent (SMART) is a student mobility campaign introduced in 2019 by the SATU Presidents’ Forum to promote cultural competence & cross-border cooperation among students in our member universities. In addition to cross-cultural exposure, innovations and entrepreneurialism are also emphases of the event. The participating students are from a wide range of disciplines, and they come together to propose innovative ideas that promote the United Nations SDGs. They are working hard, and we want to give them the best experience we can, part of which involves having a diverse collection of judges and mentors.
Further details of SMART4.0 can be found at https://smart.innovation.ncku.edu.tw/
● Role: Give advice on the teams’ pitch decks
● Tasks: Review the teams’ pitch deck and give written comments once for each team. (The judging criteria where the advice can be based on, and the pitch deck template to be used by the team are viewable HERE: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1SHYNnC-cYo96GshD1JmtLX8mjtLl8cap)
● Medium: English
● No. of teams to be reviewed: max. 12 Pitch Decks per mentor, subject to the actual number of submissions.
● Review Period: September 19th-23rd, 2022 11:59PM (GMT+8).
● Honorarium: 20 USD/team#, maximum 12 teams.
II. Judge A
● Role: In the two rounds of judge reviews, evaluate the teams’ proposals.
● Tasks: Review each team’s proposal and give an overall score. (The judging criteria and the templates to be used by the teams are viewable HERE – https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1SHYNnC-cYo96GshD1JmtLX8mjtLl8cap)
● Medium: English
● Each team’s pitch deck, 5-min pitch Video and business plan will be provided by the organizer at least 1 day prior to the judging period.
● No. of teams to be reviewed: submissions of max. 17 teams per judge, subject to the actual number of submissions.
● Judging Periods
○ First Round: October 12th – October 20th, 2022 11:59 PM (GMT+8).
○ Second Round: October 26th – October 30th, 2022 11:59 PM (GMT+8).
● Honorarium: USD 30/team#, 17 teams maximum
III. Judges B
● Role: Evaluate team proposals during the Final Demo Pitch.
○ Participate in the Final Demo Pitch online, evaluate the finalist teams‘ performance on their 10-minute pitch and 15-minute Q&A with an overall score.
○ Give feedback during the 15-minute Q&A
(The judging criteria and the templates to be used by the teams are viewable HERE: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1SHYNnC-cYo96GshD1JmtLX8mjtLl8cap)
● Medium: English
● Each team’s pitch deck and business plan will be provided by the organizer at least 1 day prior to the Final Demo Pitch.
● No. of teams to be reviewed: Each judge will review pitch decks and business plans from max. 12 teams, subject to the actual number of submissions.
● Final Demo Pitch:
○ November 10th, 2022 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM (GMT+8)
○ November 10th, 2022 14:00 PM – 17:00 PM (GMT+8)
You may choose both or either sessions.
● Honorarium: 30 USD/team#, 12 teams maximum.
How to sign up?
To join our team of mentors/judges, please complete the sign up form (https://forms.gle/BDq1ZuXA4wNQoDd66) by 18th September 2022. We will approach the mentors and judges according to the actual number of submissions and the submission topics. We will keep you informed of any updates.
We look forward to your participation as part of the mentor/judge team, joining hands with us in broadening students’ exposure and stimulating their reflection on global issues in an international setting.
If you have any questions, or need further information, please do not hesitate to contact:
Ms. Jia-Wei, Tsai
Ms. Sasha, Feng
# any tax or necessary fees (bank charges, currency conversion etc.) might be deducted from the honorarium, if the receiving account is out of Taiwan.