You will need a Visa if you enter Indonesia for study either VITAS (Limited Stay Visa) or VKSB (Social Cultural Visit Visa) – in which you can obtain at the nearest Embassy or Consular Office of Indonesia in your country. We would NEVER recommend you to use the Visa on Arrival (VOA) which is only intended for those who are visiting Indonesia as tourists, NOT for those intending to live for an extended period of time because this kind of visa is not extendable.
A. VITAS (Limited Stay Visa for Education (Student) – Index C 316 )
You should apply VITAS index 316 if you intend to study in ITB for one semester or longer. The process of applying the VITAS takes 2 – 3 months before your arrival in Indonesia. This is because a Study Permit (Izin Studi) must be applied to DIKTI (the Directorate General of Higher Education of Indonesia – Jakarta) before you can apply for VITAS.
Three kinds of VITAS are valid for either:
- 6 months
- 12 months
- 24 months
The following are detailed documents you should prepare for Study Permit (SP) and VITAS:
- 1. A letter of Recommendation from the Vice Rector of Academic Affairs of ITB
- 2. Letter of Acceptance from ITB (Example LoA)
- 3. An Academic Report/Transcript (Example transcript)
- 4. A Curriculum Vitae/Resume (Form CV)
- 5. A letter of Declaration stating that you (Form Declaration letter)
- * will obey Indonesian rules and laws
- * will not involve in any work activities
- 6. A letter of Sponsorship or of Financial guarantee (if you self support) (Example Sponsor Letter Scholarship/Institution) (Example Sponsor Letter Self funding)
- 7. Health Declaration/Report (signed by a medical doctor)(Health Certificate)
- 8. Insurance card
- 9. sufficient funds in total of USD 1.500 in the banking account to defray all expenses during your stay in Indonesia( Example Bank Account)
- 10. photos – red background (Example Photo)
- 11. A Color scan of front passport (Example Cover passport)
- 12. A color scan of valid Passport: (Example passport)
- * 12-month passport validity remaining to apply for a 6-month SP and KITAS (Limited Stay Permit Visa)
- * 18-month passport validity remaining to apply for a 12-month SP and KITAS
- * 30-month passport validity remaining to apply for a 24-month SP and KITAS
- (So, if your passport nearing expiration, we recommend that you have it renew to the maximum time allowable before you begin applying procedures.)
Please send all of the documents to the International Relations Office ITB in hardcopy or softcopy by email to
The International Relations Office (IRO) – ITB
Jl. Ganesha 17
The International Relations Office ITB will then process your Study Permit. Once the Study Permit is approved, the International Relations Office of ITB will then precede the VITAS application to the Immigration Office in Jakarta. When approved, the Immigration Office will send a telex of a letter of approval to the Indonesian Embassy or Consular Office in related countries, in which you can get the VITAS aforementioned.
B. VITAS (Limited Stay Visa for Training and Research – Index C 315 )
You should apply VITAS index 315 if you intend to conduct Research in ITB for one semester or longer. The process of applying the VITAS takes 2 – 3 months before your arrival in Indonesia. This is because a Research Permit (Izin Riset) must be applied to Ministry of Research Technology and Higher Education before you can apply for VITAS.
You can download the documents explaining detail procedure for Research Permit here.
C. VKSB (Visa Kunjungan Sosial Budaya – Social Cultural Visit Visa – Index B 211)
Another category of visit visa is VKSB (Visa Kunjungan Sosial Budaya – Social Cultural Visit Visa) – a visa for those coming to Indonesia for a short-term stays, not as tourists and not for business. This single entry visit visa refers to Index B-211 and is valid for 30 – 60 days. This type of Visa can be extended up to four times each valid for 30 days. It takes about maximum one week to obtain VKSB.
If you intend to stay for study at ITB for more than 6 (six) months but you have to enter Indonesia within less than 3 months, and hence you do not have enough time to apply VITAS, then you can apply VKSB.
Once you arrive in Indonesia, you have to immediately apply Study Permit and convert your VKSB into ITAS (Ijin Tinggal Terbatas – Limited Stay Permit) which will be valid for 1-2 years. During the conversion period (which might take about 2-3 months) you might have to extend your VKSB as necessary.
Requirements to obtain the Index B-211 Visa are as follows:
- A letter of Acceptance from the Executive Directorate of Student Enrollment Management and Education Cooperation of ITB; (Example LoA)
- An Academic Transcript; (Example transcript)
- A Curriculum Vitae or Resume; (Form CV)
- A letter of Declaration (Form Declaration letter)
- A letter of Sponsorship or of Financial guarantee (if you are self funding); (Example Sponsor Letter Self funding) (Example Sponsor Letter Scholarship/Institution)
- color copy of Bank Account of USD 1500; (Example Bank Account)
- Health Certificate (signed by a medical doctor); (Example Health Certificate)
- Health Insurance;
- A copy of the front Cover of your Passport (Example Cover passport)
- A copy of valid Passport (18-month passport validity remaining); (Example passport)
- Photo red background; (Example Photo)
- Return Ticket
Note: JPG file should not be more than 250KB
Send all documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- We would never recommend you to use the Visa on Arrival (VOA) which is only intended for those who are visiting Indonesia as tourists, NOT for those intending to live for an extended period of time because this kind of visa can only be extended once.
- Students from certain countries such as Pakistan, Nigeria and others, need to apply for a calling visa (please refer to the VITAS Section) prior to getting the B-211 Visa (VKSB).